Sweden – SMC Sveriges MotorCyklister who have taken the CRASH Card – Safety Card – to a level of distribution to riders – approx 65,000 members sent out for a tenth year in a row their medical card to riders.
One Million Medical Cards for Motorcyclists
For the tenth year in a row, SMC 2021 sent out “Medical Alert Sticker” stickers and “Medical Card” information cards to all members. The purpose is that the information on the cards should provide fast and adequate care in the event of accidents. The response has been positive from rescue workers and members themselves. More than one million Medical Cards have been distributed around the world.
Every year, a number of motorcyclists are killed and injured. The average age among both motorcyclists and passengers is rising. Some have some form of chronic illness that requires medication. Others have allergies. In Sweden, one of the indicators for achieving the goals in Zero Vision is quick and adequate rescue. The Swedish Transport Administration has in the publication “Common strategy for increased motorcycle and moped safety 1.0” shown that four lives can be saved per year in this area.
Therefore, SMC has had the Medical Card printed and distributed.
The Medical Card was originally launched by ambulance teams in the United States and the United Kingdom. In 2012, SMC made the first Swedish version of the card and distributed it to all members. The reception was warm, so we continued.
The shipment to SMC members includes a sheet of stickers. The decal is transparent and attached to the back of the helmet. On the Medical Card, the driver fills in his medical status himself. The completed card is placed between the helmet shell and the padding. In this way, rescue personnel are given quick information about a motorcyclist’s possible illnesses, allergies, medication, contact information for relatives and anything else that may be of value in the event of an accident. The card should sit between the shell and the padding on the helmet and be reached without having to remove the helmet.
The purpose of SMC’s project “Medical Card” is to speed up medical diagnostics, which is the basis for continued care and treatment. Rapid measures and operations can reduce the number of people killed and injured in traffic accidents. All county councils, municipalities, rescue services, ambulance corps and alarm operators have received information about the Medical Card.
In 2013-2014, RoSPA evaluated a similar experiment in Wales.
Helmet manufacturer approves decal
The Swedish Transport Agency’s regulations on helmets state that decals may be affixed to the helmet if these do not impair the helmet’s protective properties. What you do with the helmet must comply with the helmet’s type approval.
SMC has asked helmet manufacturers if a decal with the adhesive used can be attached to the helmet without deteriorating its properties. This is what it says:
– AGV who are positive to Medical Card and approve decal on their helmets.
– Nolan group who are positive and approve decal on their helmets which are; Nolan, X-lite and Grex.
– Caberg has performed tests with SMC’s decals that do not show any negative effects of use.
The Swedish helmet regulations apply from 1 December 2017.
Frequently asked questions about Medical Card
Do you have to take off your helmet to get the Medical Card?
– No, the card must sit between the shell and the padding on the helmet and be reached without the need to remove the helmet.
Why did you not add donation information to Medical Card?
– This is because there is a separate donation register . The information on SMC’s card is aimed at rescue personnel in connection with the accident.
Should you print the last digits of the social security number?
– You decide for yourself, but since Swedish registers are based on social security numbers, it is easier to find information on all ten digits on the Medical Card.
Can you be fined if you have a sticker on your helmet?
– No police SMC has talked about since Medical Card was sent out has said that they will fine this. On the contrary, police themselves have ordered Medical card for their helmets.
Does the insurance value of the helmet decrease if you have a sticker on it?
– SMC has spoken with the two insurance companies that have the most Swedish motorcycles insured. The answers are unequivocal. The value of the helmet is not reduced because there is a Medical Card sticker on it. The value of helmets can be reduced because they are old.
Can insurance companies adjust compensation for personal injury due to putting a sticker on the helmet?
– Absolutely not, because the Traffic Injuries Act does not allow this. Adjustment takes place in the case of serious traffic offenses, not because a motorcyclist puts a sticker on a helmet to inform about his medical status. Link to the Traffic Injuries Act:
There are many of us in the family who ride motorcycles. Can we get more Medical Card?
All SMC members (main member of extended family membership) receive four decals and a Medical Card. SMC does not have an extra Medical Card to send out. Our tip is therefore that you make your own note with the information on the Medical Card and put it in other helmets. To the right of this page you can print a Medical Card, fill in your details and then put in a plastic pocket or laminate if you have the opportunity.
Family members receive their own Medical Card to fill in. Four stickers are sent only to the main member who shares these with other members of the family.
Why is the sticker so big?
A common question concerns the size of the sticker. The reason why it is large is that rescue personnel must quickly see that the helmet has a sticker and thus a Medical Card inside the helmet.
Some choose to put several decals on their helmet to make it clearer that there is a Medical Card in the helmet, even if you are lying on your back. It is up to the individual member to decide. We give the opportunity!
Another tip from members is to put the Medical Card in a plastic pocket, or laminate, with a portrait photograph of yourself, so that there is no doubt that it is your Medical Card.
Leave a Comment